Would you like to join an award-winning charity, whose mission is to support high-potential social enterprises and charities to grow their impact and deliver maximum social value? We are looking for a talented individual to be our Investment Manager, helping amazing social enterprises do great work.
SBT is a UK charity that supports social enterprises to accelerate and grow by providing professional support and cash grants from our leading corporate partners – which include Bain & Company, Charles Russell Speechlys, Clifford Chance, EY, Permira, Permira Debt Managers, Refinitiv, and Thomson Reuters. Since 2010, we have positively impacted the lives of 2.4 million people, providing £20 million worth of cash and in-kind assistance, including 40,000 hours of high-quality business support.
Investment Manager: Job Description
Title: Investment Manager
Hours: Full-time (37.5 hours per week). Open to flexible working
Location: Initially remote working with return to office expected 2021
Start date: ASAP
About the Social Business Trust
The Social Business Trust’s (SBT) mission is to support high growth potential social enterprises and charities to scale-up their impact. We do that by investing professional support and cash grants from leading corporate partners in a carefully selected portfolio of social enterprises.
About the role
This is a unique opportunity to collaborate with some of the UKs top global professional service firms to support an inspiring portfolio of charities and social enterprises to grow and adapt during Covid and beyond.
The Investment Manager (IM) works directly with the top leadership teams of our social enterprises and charities. The IM identifies potential new investments, conducts due diligence and manages a portfolio of charities and social enterprises in line with our venture philanthropy model.
Alongside this, the IM account manages our current corporate partners. This is done through building contacts across service lines and at all levels to raise awareness of SBT and secure volunteers for projects with the portfolio. The IM leads the resourcing, co-ordination and monitoring of delivery for SBT projects delivered by corporate partner volunteers. The IM also supports in identifying potential new corporate partners and preparing for pitches to these.
We are looking for an experienced candidate to play a key role in a small, accomplished team, reporting to the Portfolio Director and working closely with two Investment Manager secondees and the Head of Communications.
- Support the portfolio social enterprises and charities to achieve a step change in their performance, outcomes, financial health and sustainability
- Deliver an annual allocation of volunteer engagement days according to specified targets across a network of corporate partners
- Drive positive feedback from key stakeholders, volunteers and social enterprise CEOs
- Focus: A strong interest in working closely with charities and social enterprises that are willing to do what it takes to grow and increase their impact
- Engagement skills: To build productive, trust-based relationships with charity leadership and with corporate volunteers
- Delivery: Senior level responsibility and a strong track record of delivery and achievement
- Strategic: Strategic thinker, comfortable with complex issues
- Persuasive verbal and written communication: Communicate with skill, passion and enthusiasm; deliver SBT information in an understandable way to secure volunteers and feedback to sponsors
- Adaptability: Thrive in fast paced environment, react positively to new initiatives, tenacious and take initiative
- Organisation and time management: Proven ability to work independently, deliver multiple projects to agreed timelines.
- Growth mind-set: Seeks out and acts on feedback
- Asset based: Views social issues through a strengths-based lens
- A commitment to SBT’s mission
- A commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion
SBT reserves the right from time to time to make reasonable changes to this job description.
Manage the portfolio pipeline
- Scope potential social enterprises and charities, proactively developing opportunities as well as vetting referrals from other networks.
Manage SBT’s pre-investment Design programme
- For any social enterprise or charity selected from the pipeline for pre-investment review:
- Lead the detailed due diligence process, working with corporate volunteers to analysis the business including an assessment leadership and governance, programme design, financial forecasting, social impact measurement and market sustainability;
- Co-develop, with the social enterprise and Investment Director, the investment case to help achieve the next phase of growth
- Develop and champion investment propositions to the Investment Committee.
Account manage a portfolio of corporate partners
- Manage and develop the relationships with a portfolio of corporate partners, developing account plans tailored to their needs.
- Build contacts throughout the corporate partner businesses to promote SBT.
- Co-design new opportunities to expand the volunteer base
- Support the renewal process for corporate partner support as required
- Reporting on KPIs, contributing to comms activities and events designed to promote SBT and influence key corporate supporters.
- Regularly review active projects and report on progress at steering group meetings.
- Build close relationships with the social enterprises and charities to identify opportunities for SBT and corporate partner support, working with the Investment Directors.
- Lead the resourcing, co-ordination and monitoring of delivery for SBT projects delivered by corporate partners to ensure that the projects are delivered to a high standard.
- Provide engaged management support, aligned and additive expert pro bono support, with regular tracking and reporting.
- Effectively leverage the support of Investment Directors and corporate sponsors to achieve objectives for each portfolio organisation.
- Regularly monitor and assess portfolio progress to inform progression or exit decisions.
- Support development of the SBT investment model and portfolio strategy.
- Research new corporate prospects and support pitches as required
- Contribute to, and support wider SBT activities, including briefing the SBT Investment Committee and Trustees through written reports and oral updates.
- Support in developing and delivering on wider cross-portfolio projects and initiatives, proactively identifying common themes or capability gaps across organisations.
To apply please submit your CV to email@example.com along with a supporting statement on why you want to join SBT (300 words) and why you are the right person for this role (500 words)
Application deadline: Friday 4 December 2020
First round interviews from w/c 7 December.
Note: we regret we can only respond to shortlisted candidates
SBT is an equal opportunities employer. Applicants must have the right to work in the UK.